Thursday, October 28, 2010

just stuff

Some things that I found surprising:

My boys are facinated by my battery operated pencil sharpener and my mounted sharpener. I guess they don't have those here. They are at it every few minutes until they don't have any pencil left. I have to put them up finally so they will sit.

That there are separate lines for women in banks and official buildings and we get to go through faster. Love that.

Most businesses close from 1:00 to 4 or 5 pm. then open until 9 or 10. I guess they just nap and then get up and finish the day. My boys go to bed at 10 or 11 at night.

I had a parent come in today angry because I tore a page out of the math workbook. She couldn't believe I had the gall to do such a thing.

Some Emeratis have a lot of power and influence and the administration will do what they can to keep them happy.

Parents got angry and complained to the principal that during open house we said bad things about their children.

They don't have seasons, only hot and less hot. They are starting to plant flowers around now and there are flowers blooming everywhere.

The Arabic children are facinated by the dogs, but they aren't disgusted by them. They like them but don't see dogs much so they're afraid. They are so proud of themselves when they work up the nerve to pet them. One girl even took pictures like they were zoo animals or something. Many students have dogs at home. They aren't really considered unclean, but they have to wash before prayers if they touch them, but they do that anyway.

They play music that is our christmas music, nursery rhymes or old ballads during assembly in the morning. I can't remember the exact music but I'll try to remember next time.

When men get a haircut they usually get a shave, shoulder massage and a facial.

They drive like maniacs, but the speeding tickets for the rich Emeratis are a status symbol.

The UAE has only been a country 30 years. Before that they were still living in tents.

I've been here two months and have not seen rain. I have only seen clouds on a few occasions and only one or two little ones.

Time for bed. Hope you all are well. I'll post more pictures as we complete the decorating. Wesley is a great decorator and house husband! He is taking really good care of me.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I really liked this post - lots of interesting tidbits. Thanks!

    Glad Wesley's taking good care of you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really glad things are coming together and you are being taken care of. Hope Wesley is finding things to do in his off time.

    Love Criminal Minds and Baklava. Glad it is there with you. I will have to try the chai tea with caramel. Sounds different.

    Take care and keep posting. I love reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete